What is DE?
Dual Enrollment provides High School students the opportunity to take college level coursework for credit which can be applied towards both high school and college graduation requirements. Dual enrollment students take approved college courses through approved college institutions, earning a course grade that will appear on both the college transcript and the Milton High School Transcript. The dual enrollment program covers the cost of tuition, mandatory fees, and textbooks for approved classes. Students may only have to pay course-specific fees and other fees that could be incurred (ex. late registration fee, lab fee, etc.).
Visit the Georgia Department of Education's website for more information.
Fulton County Schools has set consistent deadlines for all students who are applying to participate in the DE program. All Milton High School students must adhere to these deadlines
even though they may differ from the college deadlines (note: some college deadlines may be before FCS deadlines). For Summer or Fall DE, students must complete both the high school and college application requirements by March 31. For Spring DE, students must complete the high school and college application requirements by November 1.
Who can participate in DE?
Important notice: Additional requirements may be implemented for the program year 2020-2021, effective Summer Term 2020. Updates forthcoming. See FAQs.
- A student must be enrolled in and physically attending a participating eligible public or private high school in Georgia or an eligible participating home study program in Georgia.
- A student must be approved, by the participating high school or home study program at which he or she is enrolled, to participate in dual enrollment.
- Prior to participating in Dual Enrollment, as part of the application process, the student and student’s parent/guardian must complete the Student Participation Agreement (SPA).
- A student must have completed the admission process and been accepted and approved by the participating postsecondary institution.
Am I a Good Fit for DE?
When considering the DE program, you should understand the characteristics of students who are successful in college classes. DE students become students of the college, not just the high school and should exhibit the following characteristics:
- Can articulate why he/she is interested in DE
- Meets college DE admissions requirements
- Takes initiative
- Can follow through on multi-step tasks
- Has a specific pathway planned for graduation